The place for anything at all...
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Wolf-children

Post by Morkulv »

Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Re: Wolf-children

Post by Vuldari »

Morkulv wrote:Isn't there a chance that when a werewolf shifts at full moon, the same mental procedure acures?
What exactly do you mean?

" ...Werewolves would never gain wolfish mentality because they were raised by humans."

-or-

"...When a man becomes a werewolf, his mind becomes a wolf and he can never function as a human again afterward."

Based on the article you linked to, the first one seems the more likely, as the human parents would be the only present influence on which to base "learned behavior".

...or did you mean something else?

Perhaps a werewolf born of two werewolf parents would have irreversable social incompatabilities with normal human society because of their unusual upbringing, even if they themselves did not shift at all as children.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Vuldari wrote: "...When a man becomes a werewolf, his mind becomes a wolf and he can never function as a human again afterward."

Exactly.
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Morkulv wrote:
Vuldari wrote: "...When a man becomes a werewolf, his mind becomes a wolf and he can never function as a human again afterward."

Exactly.
But the whole article you linked to talked about how these people got this way because the only "parents" they had to learn social behaviour from were Wild Animals.

Durring the crucial point in their life while their brains are still forming, they had only Ferral behaviour to learn from and so became "Ferral". It was the Years of time spent in that environment that made them that way...devoid of any civilized human social behaviours or contact.

A shifting werewolf would not have any of that. Only a new body shape. Even if they were momentarily influenced by wolfish instincts while in a transformed state, they would still have an entire lifetimes worth of exposure and upbringing in human society imbedded in their brains, but only a brief exposure to wolf mentality.

If it is impossible to train a human raised by wolves to act like a civilized human, than likewise, it seems logical to me that it would be impossible to train a human raised in human society to truely think and act like a wolf. Thier chilhood upbringing is "hard wired" into their brains.

That is what I gathered from that article.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Midnite artist what arts at midnite!
Mood: Excited

Post by Trinity »

Vuldari wrote: Perhaps a werewolf born of two werewolf parents would have irreversable social incompatabilities with normal human society because of their unusual upbringing, even if they themselves did not shift at all as children.
Personally I think this would fit better. Because of the unique social situation they have, KNOWING they are werewolves, their parents would act differently.., even on a sublt level.

Now its well know, and documented, that even infants can pick up on faint, sublte social cues. Its how they learn.

Now if I remember reading correctly, in another post it was noted that werewolves can occur from bitten ( majority ) or birthed ( minority ). Two different instances can occur in behavioral changes.

1 ) Child born of 2 WW parents, who doesn't change right away ( ie 'normal human' ) for the first portion of their life, would have issues with school 'friends' and the like.

Social cues from the parents, and 'odd' behavior patterns that don't mesh what the child learns of in school ( about his/her 'friends' parents ) would lead to discomfiture and instability in the child's mind.

Behavioral cues picked up from parents, which in some cases could be more wolf-like ( less human like ), would also make the child stand out more in a public school envrionment. Making the kid the butt of everyone's jokes, ostricized ( we all KNOW how horrible kids can be :P grr ), etc.

Now some of these behavioral cues need not be extreme instances of wolf-like behavior. Since human and wolves -do- exhibit some -simialr- ( though not totall the same ) behaviors, some of these could overlap. So say the 'pack minded' behavior of a kid forces them instinctualy to find 'friends' who 'understand' him/her. They defend their 'pack' from all kinds of stuff mundane, are a bit over-friendly towards those in his/her 'pack', and perhaps ( depending on how the kids respond to the dominence-mind of teh wolf-born child ) either overloards teh group with one or two favorites ( more so then 'normal' ), or considers his/her self ( the wolf-born ) omega.

2 ) A werewolf-born child could possibly run into issues with changing at an earlier age then bitten. The virus is already in their bodies, a part of their cellaur makeup from day one.

If so, they'd adapt and accept ( perhaps ) werewolf 'culture' at an earlier stage in life. After a certain age, they learn to keep secrets very well. ( as young as 6-8 years ) So they could easily led a hidden life.

They'd understand werewolf culture better then most bitten. :)

Now as for the shift of mind-set. One one hand it -could- be argued that when a werewolf shifts, the chemical imbalance in the mind changes certain ebhaviors, attitudes, and mindset.

Also, the 'freedom' associated with shifting also could change the mindset (like how football players get 'hyped' before a game, their whoel attitude and mindset changes to something that they aren't normally when outside of game ).

On the other hand, there is a lot of push to keep the 'human mind' inside teh wolf body. This is in some ways, so that, the werewolf can 'enjoy' their change, the freedom of their form, and the power of their body.

So there are arguements for both sides, -as- well as for the social repercussions of what happens to those around them :)

:D

The Psychology behid growing up, rasied by werewolves, gives so much to play with. XD

I don't think they'd be 'stunted' like the truely wolf-raised kids are. But there -would- be a social in-equality invovled.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

Trinity wrote:
2 ) A werewolf-born child could possibly run into issues with changing at an earlier age then bitten. The virus is already in their bodies, a part of their cellaur makeup from day one.
Yes but how early are we talking about?

:family:
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Trinity wrote:
I was thinking that it would be more likely that a child born of werewolves would become a werewolf themself. A person that's bitten is exposed in one single instance, but a child in the womb would be exposed for nine months.
Figarou wrote:Yes but how early are we talking about?
I still like that without the frame.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Vuldari wrote:
Morkulv wrote:

Exactly.
But the whole article you linked to talked about how these people got this way because the only "parents" they had to learn social behaviour from were Wild Animals.
That article was just to point out that the human mind can be easily bended into that of a wolf. But my question was, how do werewolves get out of that state? Getting in this state of mind is as easy as being raised by wolves, but getting out is another thing.
outwarddoodles
Custom Title: I'm here! What more do you want?

Post by outwarddoodles »

I don't see how DNA and genetics effects behavoir all that much. As seen it depends on alot of nurture onto how they may act. Yes, there seems to be studies on behavoirs and personalities being wired into you, yet I doubt this person is going to take on a full wolf mindset because of the virus.

I find nurture over nature here.
"We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream."
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Scott Gardener »

I also appreciate the suggestion that we can raise children to be more than human--at least, more than what humans are today. I certainly believe in that potential--that people are born smart and taught stupidity somewhere along the way.

But, I digress. Back to the topic!
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
Anubis
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Eletist Jerk

Post by Anubis »

Figarou wrote: Yes but how early are we talking about?

cool, a werewolf family emoticon
THE GAME

My Armory
Trinity
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Midnite artist what arts at midnite!

Post by Trinity »

Figarou wrote:
Trinity wrote:Trinity wrote:

Yes but how early are we talking about?
See that's teh catch. Puberity and the surge in chemicals could trigger the change. That living with the virus does change their make up and makes them more likely ( if not for sure ) that they will change. The surge of hormones and other chemicals that change the human body and make it ready for breeding could also trigger the ( possibly idea here ) 'dormant' virus.

The question is, do we want to go with a plausible like that?

Or, another idea, is that the Parents could preform some ritual-bitting. Just enough to break skin. Using their own 'awakened' virus to trigger the 'dormant' virus to activate. This gives the werewolf culture a bit deeper complexity, and can lead to any number of intresting side effects. ( Like older brother wrestiling with a sibling and accidentilly break skin with teeth.., etc )/

So age could be determined by either chemical shifts, or purposfuly triggers. *grins*

Thoughts?

~~~~~~~
Morkulv wrote: That article was just to point out that the human mind can be easily bended into that of a wolf. But my question was, how do werewolves get out of that state? Getting in this state of mind is as easy as being raised by wolves, but getting out is another thing.

It could be that the older a werewolf gets the less and less 'human minded' they become. Having harder and more difficult times interacting and interfacing with human society. That while young, their minds have the ability to 'snap back, being felxibl enough to withstand the change of perceptions and understandings. But, and this is easily seen in the older folks in RL, that once set in a certain 'mindset' teh older werewolf just 'degrades ( gets lost, what ever you want to call it ) more and more. One of a number of other reason why werewolves hide. ;) Thoughts?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
outwarddoodles wrote: I don't see how DNA and genetics effects behavoir all that much. As seen it depends on alot of nurture onto how they may act. Yes, there seems to be studies on behavoirs and personalities being wired into you, yet I doubt this person is going to take on a full wolf mindset because of the virus.

I find nurture over nature here.
Scott Gardener wrote: I also appreciate the suggestion that we can raise children to be more than human--at least, more than what humans are today. I certainly believe in that potential--that people are born smart and taught stupidity somewhere along the way.

I'm a cynic at best, having been torutured by my peers. ;) *chuckles*

Genetics give us the -base- for possibility. Without it we would be mere animals of the field. We have eveoled through genetic mutation to be capable of speech and abstract thought. Nurturing adds to that, as we grow and learn.

It is proven that certain behavioral -triggers- in the brain are indeed genetic chemical imblances. Some instances of brain malfunctions are based on genetic tweeks that cause birth defects. DNA that doesn't 'code' properly.

but again Nurtue Vs Nature debate, common issue with themes like this. ;)

Examples:

Manic Depression ( while still being studied ) is both a genetic -and- enviromental based mental 'illness' ( for lack of better 'PC' term :P ). People are born with certain chemical imbalances that are thusly 'enhanced' and reinforced by enviromental stimuli.

Autism is another, as there are different levels of autism. Some aren't as obvious, but do effect behavior.
http://www.lpch.org/DiseaseHealthInfo/H ... utism.html

But as was mentioned. Behavior disorders are not _just_ genetic.

http://www.ornl.gov/sci/techresources/H ... vior.shtml

:)

Thoughts?

:read: