Allow myself to introduce ... myself ...

Welcome to "The Pack" forum! Come tell us about yourself!!
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

RayGarton wrote:Figarou wrote:
ahhh......dark horror. I see.

I'm sorry, but there is no other kind of horror, Figarou. There is no "bright" horror, or "cheery" horror. Horror is, by definition, "dark". Saying, "Ahhh, dark horror," is a litle like saying, "Ahhh, funny comedy," or "Ahhh, sad tragedy." Perhaps you are thinking off the subgenre known as "paranormal romance", which uses some of the same elements as horror, but is not horror because it's ... well, basically romance.
I think of "dark horror" as lots of gore, blood....you know...stuff that'll give someone nightmares.

Then there is horror that has very little blood and hardly any violence. Something a minor could watch.

Anywho...if you say horror is just "horror."

Then so be it.
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

Last edited by Midnight on Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

Midnight wrote:There's also "comedy horror"... stuff like Sean of the Dead, Black Sheep, Army of Darkness etc.

yup...I heard of the term "comedy horror" a bunch of times.

Glad you brought that up, Midnight. :D
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Oooookay....
Sorry we're not traditional enough for you; not all agreeing 100% with the obviously superior way of veiwing werewolves.
:roll:

See ya.
JoshuaMadoc
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: HERO OF NIGHTMARES
Additional Details: I just don't care.
Mood: Indifferent

Post by JoshuaMadoc »

I truly pity you.

I may have complained a lot to these people but i never felt the need to put up a traditionalist tirade before leaving this place, because i have the right to mod my own werewolves to my own liking using my artistic skills.

I also think you're the one who's more selfish here.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Figarou »

RayGarton wrote:
You may be a little late there, folks. Werewolf mythology has been around a long, long time -- loooong before Internet message boards, movies, massmarket novels, roleplaying games, or comic books. Werewolf mythology goes waaaay, waaaay back.
And how many times has the werewolf mythology changed? Hmmm? How much of it is really original? We don't even know if the original source has been altered in any way looooong before we heard it.

Ever play that game where you whisper a line into someone's ear and then have him/her pass it along to the next person? And the next? And so on? Is the line the same when last person repeats it? Nope.

RayGarton wrote:In 1941, Universal Pictures made a movie called THE WOLF MAN, which is now considered a classic. In it, an actor named Lon Chaney Jr. played Larry Talbot, a man who is turned into a werewolf after being bitten by one. As a man, Larry is a tragic, tormented character, and very sympathetic -- but when he becomes a werewolf under the full moon, he is a savage, scary, bloodthirsty monster with no sense of right or wrong, a beast that will not hesitate to kill even those whom Larry loves most. As a werewolf, he does not maintain his sensitivity or tragedy -- that all goes out the window and he becomes a ravenous, deadly beast.

What....you think we are stupid? We already know about the 1941 "THE WOLF MAN." SHEESH!! :roll:

Even though that film is a classic...there is not to many fans of the werewolf portrayed in that film. Today's werewolf has gone through many changes. (PUN intended) :grinp:

If it hasn't...then the Classic "Wolf man" style will still be in use today.

RayGarton wrote:Obviously, I made a mistake in coming here.
Indeed you did. :roll:

RayGarton wrote:I'm a writer, it's what I do for a living, and when I have a new book about to be released, I do everything I can to draw attention to it so it will sell.
The internet can make you or break you. Word can spread and the attention you get CAN be a negative one. Good luck selling your book. I'm certainly not going to buy it.

RayGarton wrote:I should've looked more closely at this board before posting here. I mistakenly thought it to be a gathering place for fans of werewolves and werewolf mythology, and the horror genre in general -- had I looked closer, I would've seen that its purpose is apparently to set rules and parameters for something that had its rules and parameters set long, long ago, to somehow create mythology that actually was created centuries ago, and to avoid things as unpleasant and unseemly as "horror".

Whoa hold on a second. RULES? If there was RULES, then the same werewolf story will be told over and over again!! You wouldn't be able to say..."In my version, becoming a werewolf is sexually transmitted"

What's wrong with twisting the mythology a bit? Its been done for many MANY years!! Apparently, YOU did some changes in your story. Did you *knot?

*heh...sorry...couldn't resist. :grinp:
RayGarton wrote: Horror on a werewolf message board? What was I thinking? I was under the mistaken impression that FREEBORN was a horror movie about werewolves. Apparently, it's something else -- a movie created specifically for a limited group that has its own particular, non-traditional ideas about lycanthropy that seem to have nothing to do with traditional mythology or the horror genre, a group that seems to turn its nose up at the stuffy old ideas about scary monsters, and that sneers at "horror".
Welcome to the day and age of "change!" :shift: You know.... "out with the old..in with the new." The old traditions may be boring to these folks. Ever thought of that?

RayGarton wrote: I will limit my posts from now on to other boards frequented by horror fans who have what appears to be a misguided concept of the lycanthrope ... people who will no doubt be flocking to see the more traditional, crowd-pleasing upcoming remake of THE WOLF MAN rather than the far less traditional and apparently more sophisticated and recently-developed-by-online-committee FREEBORN.

Again, I apologize for my posts and will move along now. Thank you.

Flocking to see the remake of The Wolf Man? OH PUH-LEEEEZE!!!

There wasn't much gore in the original. In order to please the horror fans of today, changes HAS to be made!! Again....not everyone here likes the classic Wolf Man design. Hollywood and writers needs to keep up with the changing times in order to please the fans. Not have remakes!!!
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

As a counter to Mr. Garton's little tirade; Wulfen Blood should be available from Lulu.com in about a month. Silverclaw is doing the covers...after her school projects are covered and completed.

I'll wager Wulfen Blood will publish well before Mr. Garton's story...and sell well; if what's going on here is any indication.

So there! :P
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
alphanubilus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by alphanubilus »

While I can understand Ray's points on the horror genre in general, I can't simply understand why it upsets him that not all people want to see blood and gore werewolf flicks? The reality is fiction is fiction, take it or leave it, and a GOOD story goes a long way no matter the genre. There are movies out there that rack up the gore level for a shock value, but sooner or later they are forgotten, unless they put a twist in the plot.

I particularly do not like the horror genre as the stories are usually afterthoughts. If you don't think so, how many people saw House of Wax for the story? I sure the hell didn't. I just wanted to see Paris Hilton wacked... again... and again... and again... I LOVE DVD's!!! :P

The reality is the mythology of werewolves is 90% negative, but that is only in Europe. In other cultures their shapeshifting cousins fare much better. Many of these "evil" werewolves played upon the fears people had of wolves as the encrouched more and more into what was once wolf territory. Man and wolf were competitors and thus most of these yarns began. Could I be considered a Pro-Werewolf? I am pro-good story. You can't have rights for fictional fabrications, generally speaking that is. I'd watch a violent werewolf flick --- IF --- it had a good story, or at least a half way decent fun story, such as in Ginger Snaps or Dog Soldiers, both of which were great low budgeted flicks.

Is it foolish and beyond belief to rethink the werewolf character? Not at all! Look at vampire movies. The mythological vampire has little to due with the new Hollywood interpretations we've seen lately. They were demons who take the form of men or women to seduce the opposite sex... such as the Succubus and Incubus. Hollywood with the help of Anne Rice transformed the genre into bi-sexual play things and forced a fanged Tom Cruise on unsuspecting audiances everywhere.

Does it have to be historical.... my heavens no. This is entertainment, not history, but it has to be good.