About Therians

The place for anything at all...
RedEye
Custom Title: Master of Meh
Mood: Meh...

Post by RedEye »

Searif Bogard wrote:Hm, seems like a good source, if I ever find myself being asked about Therians or about myself being a Therian, I will probably refer to it =3
Try "Werelist: Werelist threian directory" It's back up again. There are more therians there than you can shake a stick at; and if you did, half of them would chase it... :lol:
RedEye: The Wulf and writer who might really be a Kitsune...
Not Quite Human
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Not Quite Human »

RedEye wrote:
Searif Bogard wrote:Hm, seems like a good source, if I ever find myself being asked about Therians or about myself being a Therian, I will probably refer to it =3
Try "Werelist: Werelist threian directory" It's back up again. There are more therians there than you can shake a stick at; and if you did, half of them would chase it... :lol:
Heheh, I like.

I've tried re-registering for there and I'm not receiveing any actvation E-mails though, is anyone else having this trouble?
Oh, there's also Shadowsden.org which is a little cosier with only a few regular members, though it's not up at the moment, it's really quite a good resource as many (though not all, as with any site of that nature) of the members have a large ammount of knowledge, common sence and generally have a nice level-headed nature. It's worth checking out.

Joe.
A fool and his money are soon partying.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The one and only were-jaguarundi!

Post by PariahPoet »

Lukas wrote:
RedEye wrote:We do? What makes you think that? :lol:
if im wrong, we are atleast some of the most active members on the website 8)
Yep, and those of us who choose not to be so active anymore are still here.
Not Quite Human
Dealing with the Change
Dealing with the Change

Post by Not Quite Human »

I started another thread for therian discussion, though it seems it'd be easier to keep everything in here.
I've had a little theory floating around in my head and I wouldn't mind getting some opinions on it.

Personally, I'm a firm believer that therianthropy is a neurobiological phenomena which could be explained in a scientific way (though I'm no expert biologist yet, so in laman's terms, faulty/different wiring). Though I believe this, it doesn't stop me from pondering about alternative explinations, which brings me to my point.
I've recently been casually looking into Buddhism, Zen in particular. Some of their ideas and beliefs appeal to me so I try to incorporate some into my everyday life to generally be a better person. I was researching on the internet about their beliefs in reincarnation, and it struck me that it could link to therianthropy.
The basic Buddhist belief is that if you have lived a good life, when you die, you will be reborn in one of the more favourable 6 realms of reincarnation (usually down to animals, as bad deeds are inescapable), which are:

1)Beings in hell
2)Hungry Ghosts
3)Animals
4)Asura
5)Humans
6)Deva

So it is possible for a good animal to have been reincarnated as a human, which got me thinking.
There are stories of people recalling past lives, fairly legit stories too. These are presented as proof of reincarnation (as are mental tendancies and personality)*. Now if people can recall past lives as people, sticking with the theory of reincarnation, what's to say people can't have recollection of an animal past life?
This could manifest itself in many ways, possibly a 'shift' if the recollection is intense enough. But as there is belief that mental tendancy and personality are also connected to past lives, then this could be what is collectively and commonly known as therianthropy.
Keep in mind that this is purely just a theory and a musing (I, myself, don't actually believe in reincarnation 100%. I take the proof into account, but things seem rather 'hazy' surrounding the subject) but I would like to hear some thoughts and feedback on this.

* http://www.aboutreincarnation.org/proof.php/
http://paranormal.about.com/library/wee ... 32502b.htm

Joe. :)
A fool and his money are soon partying.
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Panzer Division Morkulv
Mood: RAR!

Post by Morkulv »

Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Y know, not to be a buzzkill, but I gotta make a tiny joke here.

"Where'd he go?"

"THER_E_INS!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know. not funny at all. but i had to do it :P
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

MattSullivan wrote:Y know, not to be a buzzkill, but I gotta make a tiny joke here.

"Where'd he go?"

"THER_E_INS!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kinda like this:

http://www.internetisseriousbusiness.com
Scott Gardener wrote: I'd be afraid to shift if I were to lose control. If I just looked fuggly, I'd simply be annoyed every full moon.
Teh_DarkJokerWolf
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Disappointed

Post by Teh_DarkJokerWolf »

Morkulv wrote:
MattSullivan wrote:Y know, not to be a buzzkill, but I gotta make a tiny joke here.

"Where'd he go?"

"THER_E_INS!"

Kinda like this:

Gahhh!! Mork I would beat you with a stick!! I got pulled right into that like a tard :P I wouldn't really beat u with a stick lol
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

HAHAHAHA!! :lol:

Sorry, sorry, I was pranked by that link before so I couldn't resist...

Ctrl - alt - del is a good sollution though. :D
Set
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Devil in disguise

Post by Set »

PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

Yeah....heh, oddly enough I'm an old soul with no past lives. Guess I just cooled my heels in the netherworld for a while. Image

But honestly, as far as my personal therianthropy goes I feel no need to figure out how or why it happened. I know what I am, and I don't see why I have to prove it to anyone because it is not possible. If you don't believe in it, that's fine, doesn't affect what I know to be true.
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: living
Mood: Indifferent

Post by Lukas »

PariahPoet wrote:Yeah....heh, oddly enough I'm an old soul with no past lives. Guess I just cooled my heels in the netherworld for a while. Image

But honestly, as far as my personal therianthropy goes I feel no need to figure out how or why it happened. I know what I am, and I don't see why I have to prove it to anyone because it is not possible. If you don't believe in it, that's fine, doesn't affect what I know to be true.
yes that is very true indeed
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Last edited by Morkulv on Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets

Post by MoonKit »

Morkulv wrote:

"Where'd he go?"

"THER_E_INS!"

Kinda like this:

That was pure evil. I liked Matt's joke much better! :lol:
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lukas »

And souls just do not go randomly into the first body that comes up or something. It just doesn't work that way.
I don't believe that either, i believe god intended me to be like this, :D
(for every afro avatar, a funky man loses his hair, please, think of undercover brother)
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

Morkulv wrote:Just because I am a new soul, doesn't mean I am a retard...
I didn't call you a retard. I called you young. :P

I was simply wondering how you would even know how reincarnation works if you've never been through it yourself. You...really need to lighten up, dude.
Morkulv wrote:One thing is certain though, and that is that humans are not and will never be apes. Everything including senses, abilities, dimensions of thought and many other things are proof against the whole popular "Darwin"-believe
How do you figure? I'm not following your logic here.
Morkulv wrote:And to be honest the whole "deal with it"-attitude shows a little sign of ignorance if you ask me.
Ignorance of what, exactly? It's a major pet peeve of mine when humanity thinks it's be best thing to ever walk the earth. Just because humans are ugly, bald, and can't shut up doesn't make them better than any other species. A human is just another animal.
Merrypaws
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Merrypaws »

I've more or less given up on trying to put my beliefs into words.

And I'm up to HERE with people who like to say they know exactly what makes one a therian. (no offense to anyone)

No matter what one says they're bound to find someone who says: "That's not how it works for me." Especially on the more specific 'subspecies' of therians. And there are ongoing debates whether therians and otherkin are the same thing, or totally separate phenomenons. And let's not even go into the whole therian vs. furry thing. (For the record, I like both.)

Therianthropy is a spiritual thing, it can not be proved or disproved. And more than anything, it's highly PERSONAL. Everyone feels it in their own way. And they darn well have every right to. How can anyone tell someone else how to feel about this sort of thing? They mind readers or something?

Mile in someone else's shoes my tail - try living their entire life and then we'll talk.

*hops down from the soap box*

P.S. Pardon for the rant-y. You just touched one of my pet peeves.
Do we really need the solution? Couldn't we just enjoy the problem for now?
MattSullivan
Legendary
Legendary

Post by MattSullivan »

Therians fascinate me. I can't fathom being anything other than a human being. I mean, sure, it's fun to make beleive, you have to do it all the time as a writer. Stepping into a character's shows so to speak. But to therians it feels real ( i'm guessing )
Morkulv
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Morkulv »

Set wrote:
Morkulv wrote:Just because I am a new soul, doesn't mean I am a retard...
I didn't call you a retard. I called you young. :P

I was simply wondering how you would even know how reincarnation works if you've never been through it yourself. You...really need to lighten up, dude.
Morkulv wrote:One thing is certain though, and that is that humans are not and will never be apes. Everything including senses, abilities, dimensions of thought and many other things are proof against the whole popular "Darwin"-believe
How do you figure? I'm not following your logic here.
Morkulv wrote:And to be honest the whole "deal with it"-attitude shows a little sign of ignorance if you ask me.
Ignorance of what, exactly? It's a major pet peeve of mine when humanity thinks it's be best thing to ever walk the earth. Just because humans are ugly, bald, and can't shut up doesn't make them better than any other species. A human is just another animal.
Ignorance of the truth, ofcourse. By saying "deal with it" you are closing yourself and possible others off of other more plausible human origin theories. Its actually a popular christian habbit to say something along the lines of 'deal with it!', but modern Darwin-believe looks more and more alike with other organized religions. And yes you've got it just right in your last sentence; humans are just another animal, but NOT apes. People have yet to figure out about the potential they hold, and that is far more then a lot of people think. To hold a nice example; otherkin is a human (and earthbound) thing only. We are the only species on this planet capable of holding 2 or more souls. Ofcourse more souls means more time you have to spend in them and learning from them, but in the end when you have learned most things about your otherkin you can proudly call yourself a advanced human being. Therianthropy aside ofcourse, since feeding yourself with bullshit is not a very good way to progress yourself...

And yes, I have never been through the rebirth-cycle before, but I know plenty of people that did. Trust me, it matches up.
Set
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Set »

Morkulv wrote:Ignorance of the truth, ofcourse.
And that would be...? What is this mysterious thing you seem to know while no one else does?
humans are just another animal, but NOT apes.
Then what are they?
To hold a nice example; otherkin is a human (and earthbound) thing only.
Again with the "and you know this how"?
And yes, I have never been through the rebirth-cycle before, but I know plenty of people that did. Trust me, it matches up.
Mmhm. I'm willing to bet I'm older than any of them. I will not trust you, because what I have personally seen and what you're saying are far from the same thing.
PariahPoet
Legendary
Legendary

Post by PariahPoet »

MattSullivan wrote:Therians fascinate me. I can't fathom being anything other than a human being. I mean, sure, it's fun to make beleive, you have to do it all the time as a writer. Stepping into a character's shows so to speak. But to therians it feels real ( i'm guessing )

I like that attitude. You aren't blindly accepting any claims without proof, but you also acknowledge that this(whether you personally believe it or not) is real to us.
That's really all I ask for. People don't have to believe me since I know I can't prove my experience. Just know that every person's perception can be different and that things you don't personally experience can still be very real to others.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Set and Morkulv, I would greatly appreciate it if you guys don't take your discussion to a personal level and dont directly attack each other. I don't mind you guys debating and all but try to do so in reasonable manner.
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
MoonKit
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: That Girl With The Ferrets

Post by MoonKit »

To me, being a therian just means feeling your tail wag when a good song comes on the radio or wanting to let a howl loose after a good kiss. Nothing spiritual in my eyes. :howl:  :oo
You are the only light there is for yourself my friend
Lukas
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Lukas »

MoonKit wrote:To me, being a therian just means feeling your tail wag when a good song comes on the radio or wanting to let a howl loose after a good kiss. Nothing spiritual in my eyes. :howl:  :oo
by the way, i just recently started a phantom tail when i sleep, score :P
Kelpten
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Kelpten »

I'm just a guy who obsesses over becoming a werewolf. When I imagine myself a wolf, (and if you concentrate really hard it's amazing what you can give yourself as far as phantom limbs go) it feels realy good. Euphoric even. Just seeing the world through a wolf's senses would be increadable. Sometimes the yerning to be a wolf is so great it feels like there's a gaping hole in my chest. But at the same time I know I could never give up my human body entirely (after all, it's the one I was born with). That's why werewolves facinate me so much. They fullfill an impossible dream for me. I guess you could call me a therian (sort of), but I don't feel anything super spiritual about it, so oh well. Whatever it is, it's probably not the best thing for my mental health though.