visible verses non-visible full moon

This is the place for discussion and voting on various aspects of werewolf life, social ideas, physical appearance, etc. Also a place to vote on how a werewolf should look.
White Paw

visible verses non-visible full moon

Post by White Paw »

O.k.....given that a were is triggered by the full moon...

would it be the visible full moon or the fact that its a full moon regardless of the fact that its visible or not...

i.e. - person is a werewolf and in human form and is out and about...on the town. Its a full moon by what the calender says.....but its very overcast and raining so the full moon cant be seen but its there, and its full(obviously)........

will said human/were change regardless of the fact that its out but not visible.....

just a thought...lets yours... :D
Fang
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Fang »

I think they would change, but it would take longer and hurt more as the body tries to force the change with limited lunar influence.
Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori :P
DayStar
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: One who stalks the shadows

Post by DayStar »

I think that they would change as Fang said, but may revert back to their human forms. There are many theories on this; such as if a moon is full and slips behind a cloud the werewolf in question will revert to it's human form. That happened in Van Helsing if I am not terribly mistaken. I think it could happen either ways. But, in my oppion they would probably still shift.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

IMO, they change whether or not the moon's visible or not.

I mean, that'd be lame if you only needed to like, hide in a building with no windows to be safe. I mean, that's lame regardless of the "free to be good or evil werewolf" kind of were, or the "evil kill stuff" kind of were.

That's what always got me about the wolfman. I mean, how does a cloud matter to obscure the moon, but not the walls of the house? :P
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

Aki wrote:That's what always got me about the wolfman. I mean, how does a cloud matter to obscure the moon, but not the walls of the house? :P
Obvouosly clouds block the drama-rays that werewolves use to transform, while walls don't.
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lone Wolf and Biologist

Post by BlackWolfDS »

That makes no sense to me. How can clouds block rays while a wall, a solid, object can't?
Lupin
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Ninja BOFH

Post by Lupin »

BlackWolfDS wrote:That makes no sense to me. How can clouds block rays while a wall, a solid, object can't?
Being that they're drama rays, Dramatic Necessity :grinp:
I don't suffer from lycanthropy, I enjoy every minute of it! Image
BlackWolfDS
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Lone Wolf and Biologist

Post by BlackWolfDS »

Oh, lol :lol:
Aki
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Wolfblood

Post by Aki »

Lupin wrote:
Aki wrote:That's what always got me about the wolfman. I mean, how does a cloud matter to obscure the moon, but not the walls of the house? :P
Obvouosly clouds block the drama-rays that werewolves use to transform, while walls don't.
I shall endeavor to create a wall made of clouds then! :science:
Terastas
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Spare Pelican

Post by Terastas »

It would take a lot to block out the lunar effect completely. If it rained and thundered so long and so hard that nobody ever saw the moon, maybe, but other than that, hell no.
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

I would hope that a werewolf that is moon controlled wouldn't be based on the light from the moon as the trigger but some magic done by the timing and presence or something and clouds, walls, or anything would prevent it.

But if the change is psychologically based then seeing the full moon may be needed, or maybe knowing its a full moon. Imagine being a werewolf like that and not knowing its a full moon out driving at night and be like, "its offically bright out" and look up to see the moon and then change.
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
Vuldari
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Aspiring "Reverse" Kitsune

Post by Vuldari »

Once again I must answer with the very tired response...

"It Depends on the story and the Werewolf".

Overall though, in situations where the transformation is triggered by the moon, I like the dramatic effect that comes from it actually happening the moment it becomes visable.

...however, I'm not terribly fond of them suddenly changing back when it is covered again. I think once the change happens...it stays for the remainder of the night. (unless the story calls for some way for them to change back before the night is over).

I also agree that, even if is is completely invisable due to heavy overcast clouds and/or walls, the change will still happen on a full moon night...it will just take a little longer, and possibly happen more slowly.

(Only in stories where the moon has that significance, naturally.)
Last edited by Vuldari on Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please Forgive the Occasional Outburst of my Inner Sage ... for he is Oblivious to Sarcasm, and not Easily Silenced.

=^.^'= ~
Kirk Hammett
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guitar Dude from Metallica

Post by Kirk Hammett »

Ugh Vuldari I've used that response too many times as well. :P

But for me, in any story format, I think the werewolf would still change. But then we could go into a discussion about whether the wolf should change every night because the moon is always there, sun reflecting off it or not...and whether that reflected light is what makes them change (So if it is, then it can't pierce the clouds enough or maybe the cloud cover isn't enough which is what I'd presume).

It's probably why I don't use the moon much when I write, although I sometimes do, depends whether I want the cursed factor of how annoying it is to be locked away three times a month, or having to find a nice convenient forest to hunt in.
<b> Pack Drunk</b>
Image Image :beerwolf: :drunx:
"Animals were not made for humans, not anymore than black people were made for whites or women for men" -Alice Walker-
Rhuen
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Dark One of the Moon

Post by Rhuen »

come to think of it, in my stories I don't think I have ever yet mentioned the moon in relation to anything supernatural. I have some monsters that change every night, but most can change at will. Which I feel makes them more impressive as monsters.
Like I have said before, how great can a monster be if it can only become one once a month?
when I look in the mirror what looks back isn't always my reflection.
RedWolf
Legendary
Legendary

Post by RedWolf »

What about a lunar eclipse?

When the full moon is exactly aligned with the earth, instead of getting a 100% full moon, the moon is eclipsed by the earth's shadow.

At other times when the moon is "full," it's never 100% illuminated because a sliver of it is still in shadow.
Shadow_in_the_Moonlight
Pack Leader
Pack Leader

Post by Shadow_in_the_Moonlight »

maybe it doesnt have to be full moon for them to change? maybe the urge would be stronger and harder or impossible to fight back at the full moon. i think also that the change would probably come quicker and esier during the full moon in comparison to what the change would be like dur ing , say, the new moon, were it could require a good amount of self control to even mantain(sp?) the anthro/morphic body. the whole cloud thing im not as opinionated about... I guess the over cast could make the change difficult and maybe make a lycan a little weaker than if the skys were clear. OKAY!!! QUESTION TIME!!!! what would werewolves use to refer to the time of the full moon? would they call "that time of the month?" and if so how awkward(sp?) would it be for two male werewolves talking about the change to be over heard in a bar or some other social rendevues? and how would female werewolves be able to tell wich "time of the month" the others are talking about?
"The wise ones keep far from these Deeps,
for in the shadows dwell and creep
all manner dark and sere and fair
of twilight's kith - these woods their lair."