Allow myself to introduce ... myself ...

Welcome to "The Pack" forum! Come tell us about yourself!!
RayGarton
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Allow myself to introduce ... myself ...

Post by RayGarton »

Last edited by RayGarton on Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

RAVENOUS....eh? Hmmmmmm....And in your version its sexually transmitted. Not by bite.
Last edited by Figarou on Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Midnight
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Midnight »

Hi there Ray! Welcome to the Pack.

The book you're talking about sounds interesting... Not quite my thing though but if I find it I might give it a read. I like reading innovative takes on the werewolf legends, but I prefer werewolf stories where the reader ends up cheering for the werewolf. I don't cheer for rapists.
RayGarton
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by RayGarton »

Last edited by RayGarton on Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Blue-eyes in the dark
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The doomed Chocolate lover.
Mood: Happy

Post by Blue-eyes in the dark »

I can't wait to check them out, i've been looking for a good wolfie book. Oh and if you wouldn't mind sampleing some of your work in the creative writeing section, that would be much ablidged. :D
Welcome tothe pack, you artist of the pen and wonderful dreams. :howl:  :oo
Reading an distributing copies of "The Werewolf's Guide to Life: a Manuel for the newly bitten" Help, where it's needed.
Silver Predator Wolf
Game Master
Game Master
Custom Title: Le plus innocent votre sourire, le plus sauvage mon amour pour vous.

Post by Silver Predator Wolf »

Welcome! Sorry for the late reply. Just got my new net today and my old onw got cut off. Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your stay with us! :D
A healthy woman is much like a wolf: Both social creatures, longing for pack mates, intelligent, communicative, wild, gentle, playful, capable of great strength, fiercely loyal, territorial, and beautiful.
WereDragon25
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The lovestruck wolf.
Location: Conway, AR. Such a big town for such a small wolf...

Post by WereDragon25 »

Good book, my movies are the same. i like them because they don't portray werewolves and therians as monsters, they portray them as people, not evil demons. Sexually transmitted, eh? That might be how I became a therian. :lol: Welcome to the Pack, Ray. Pssst, send me a free copy! :D
Going crazy with all of the work I do, all of the practice I do, and all of the $@#% I have to deal with. God, please help and support Obsidian and I get through this mess.
Image Image Image Image Image

"And, thanks to Undercover Brother, the world was once again a funky place."
Blue-eyes in the dark
Legendary
Legendary

me too, me too. :howl:  :oo

Oh, and if you'd like, Silver Predator Wolf and i have a Role Play we just started about a week ago, and we'd be glad to have you. :D it's named "Lune De Chasseurs" hope you join. :)
Reading an distributing copies of "The Werewolf's Guide to Life: a Manuel for the newly bitten" Help, where it's needed.
IndianaJones
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Anime/Furry/Disney Fanatic
Additional Details: I like transformations and humans being turned into animals, furries, and monsters.
Mood: Relief

Post by IndianaJones »

What's up, welcome to the den. Wow, I am amazed to see a new werewolf novel coming out in 2008! I have been waiting for that for a long time now. I can't wait to get my hands on your first book, RAVENOUS. Are you going to release it in public bookstores like Borders?
Disney/Disneyland fans and theme parks!
http://micechat.com/

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ZanderFox/
Blue-eyes in the dark
Legendary
Legendary

or will it have to be an object i'll have to kill for. lck :lol:
RayGarton
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by RayGarton »

Last edited by RayGarton on Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow Wulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shadow Wulf »

Hello RayGarton, and Welcome to the Pack, hope you have fun in here. :)
Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves are its only safe depositories. - Thomas Jefferson
Image Image
Blue-eyes in the dark
Legendary
Legendary

RayGarton wrote:Actually, RAVENOUS is not my first book, it's my 54th. It's being published by Leisure Books (Dorchester Publishing), which means it will be in book stores and grocery stores in paperback (the cover is GORGEOUS!), and it's available for order now from Amazon.

I'd love to join in on that role playing game, but I won't be able to for awhile. About six weeks ago, I submitted a proposal to my publisher for BESTIAL, the sequel to RAVENOUS, and an untitled follow-up novel. In the proposal, I included all I had of BESTIAL -- a prologue, the first chapter, and a brief synopsis. A couple of weeks ago, Leisure surprised me with a relatively quick response and let me know they wanted both the books. The catch is that BESTIAL is due at the end of June, which means I've got about three months to write a WHOLE BOOK! I used to be able to do that in my younger days -- I could write like the wind back then. But I'm slower and pickier now, so this is taking up almost all my time. So, I won't be able to join in the fun just yet, but maybe at some point down the line when my schedule's not so heavy.

If you'd like, drop in on my MySpace page -- http://www.myspace.com/raygarton
Ya, it's pretty cool. :D
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

Welcome! I read the book reviews on Amazon.com and it does sound interesting, although I am wary of a "rapists = werewolves" metaphor... it seems a little heavy-handed and a throwback to grindhouse horror, of which I'm not a big fan. Maybe I'm too fickle in my werewolf preferences, though.
RayGarton
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by RayGarton »

Last edited by RayGarton on Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xiroteus
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Xiroteus »

Welcome. :D

Personally I am not too much into horror, I am one of those people that likes the idea of werewolves that maintain their human personality and many times defies the traditional way werewolves work, even so there is more then enough room for all types of werewolves and monsters, some good some bad, I felt this way before I knew many others liked the same idea when I looked online many years ago.
Berserker
Legendary
Legendary

Post by Berserker »

I'm a big fan of horror films and stories, and my favorite werewolf movie happens to be Dog Soldiers, which is horror. I have nothing against horror, just that the description of your novel's theme raised one eyebrow for "sexploitation" and another eyebrow for "heavy-handed metaphor;" thus my skepticism. Since the story seems to be neither, then no worries about it. :D
RayGarton
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by RayGarton »

Last edited by RayGarton on Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moonwatcher
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The Guardian
Mood: Sad

Post by Moonwatcher »

Hey man welcome to the pack sorry for the late replay hope u enjoy ur stay here
:D
Humans Fear The Beast Within the Wolf Because
They Do Not Understand the beast Within Themselves
Figarou
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Executive Producer (Red Victoria)

Post by Figarou »

RayGarton wrote:The werewolves in RAVENOUS are definitely not the kind for which you cheer. They're the monsters -- vicious bloodthirsty, and ... well ... ravenous.
ahhh......dark horror. I see.

I'm more into humor. (I think you can already tell by my responce.)

:jester:
Scott Gardener
Legendary
Legendary
Mood: Excited

Post by Scott Gardener »

Welcome here! You might enjoy browsing some of the posts from the early days, back when we were "Building the Ultimate Werewolf." We have covered quite a lot over the past three and a half years about what werewolves are, aren't, should be, and shouldn't be. We're all standing in line for Freeborn as well, but along the way, we've found and developed a lot of other projects. I myself have a novel manuscript, and I'm overdue sending out my next round of query letters.
Taking a Gestalt approach, since it's the "in" thing...
WereDragon25
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: The lovestruck wolf.
Location: Conway, AR. Such a big town for such a small wolf...

Post by WereDragon25 »

well, u might should have some therians in the mix fighting against the evil werewolves. Like the couple from american werewolf in paris fighting against that cult of werewolves. Also you can ask anyone on here what a therian is, we all know. And almost all of us are therians.
Going crazy with all of the work I do, all of the practice I do, and all of the $@#% I have to deal with. God, please help and support Obsidian and I get through this mess.
Image Image Image Image Image

"And, thanks to Undercover Brother, the world was once again a funky place."
WereWolfBoy
Legendary
Legendary
Custom Title: Making the humans pay the wrong they have caused the pack
Additional Details: Damn the night
paws covered in blood, running
Running through the forest
Naked ,free of clothing howling
Animal instinct calls from
within.
Mood: Meh...

Post by WereWolfBoy »

hehehehehehehe yes indeed younger brother.
The world lives in silence as we howl our hearts aloud
Silverclaw
Mood: Meh...

Post by Silverclaw »

Welcome :D
I'll have to keep an eye open for your book when I go back to Borders :)
54 books!? How many do you write a year? :o
What about you? What are your favorite? What have been the biggest disappointments to you, and why?
Favs- An American Werewolf in London, The Howling, Bad Moon, Ginger Snaps....
Biggest disappointment- By far Blood and Chocolate. They absolutly RUINED the book :( :|
RayGarton
Just Bitten
Just Bitten

Post by RayGarton »

Figarou wrote:
ahhh......dark horror. I see.

I'm sorry, but there is no other kind of horror, Figarou. There is no "bright" horror, or "cheery" horror. Horror is, by definition, "dark". Saying, "Ahhh, dark horror," is a litle like saying, "Ahhh, funny comedy," or "Ahhh, sad tragedy." Perhaps you are thinking off the subgenre known as "paranormal romance", which uses some of the same elements as horror, but is not horror because it's ... well, basically romance.

Scott Gardener wrote:
We have covered quite a lot over the past three and a half years about what werewolves are, aren't, should be, and shouldn't be.

You may be a little late there, folks. Werewolf mythology has been around a long, long time -- loooong before Internet message boards, movies, massmarket novels, roleplaying games, or comic books. Werewolf mythology goes waaaay, waaaay back. Werewolves have *always* been savage, scary, bloodthirsty monsters. In 1941, Universal Pictures made a movie called THE WOLF MAN, which is now considered a classic. In it, an actor named Lon Chaney Jr. played Larry Talbot, a man who is turned into a werewolf after being bitten by one. As a man, Larry is a tragic, tormented character, and very sympathetic -- but when he becomes a werewolf under the full moon, he is a savage, scary, bloodthirsty monster with no sense of right or wrong, a beast that will not hesitate to kill even those whom Larry loves most. As a werewolf, he does not maintain his sensitivity or tragedy -- that all goes out the window and he becomes a ravenous, deadly beast. Much of the mythology in THE WOLF MAN was concocted out of whole cloth, but it was firmly based on much older mythology that goes back centuries. Werewolves -- or shapeshifters or lycanthropes or strigoi, they have many names that come from many different cultures -- have long been an icon of traditional horror film and literature. The idea of sensitive, sympathetic werewolves who are romantic and noble and who apparently grow fur, fangs, and snouts and then go around doing good deeds and conducting emotional relationships with people is very, very, very new and seems to have sprung up under the broad umbrella of "goth" culture. It has nothing to do with the traditional werewolf in the horror genre.

Obviously, I made a mistake in coming here. I'm a writer, it's what I do for a living, and when I have a new book about to be released, I do everything I can to draw attention to it so it will sell. I should've looked more closely at this board before posting here. I mistakenly thought it to be a gathering place for fans of werewolves and werewolf mythology, and the horror genre in general -- had I looked closer, I would've seen that its purpose is apparently to set rules and parameters for something that had its rules and parameters set long, long ago, to somehow create mythology that actually was created centuries ago, and to avoid things as unpleasant and unseemly as "horror". Horror on a werewolf message board? What was I thinking? I was under the mistaken impression that FREEBORN was a horror movie about werewolves. Apparently, it's something else -- a movie created specifically for a limited group that has its own particular, non-traditional ideas about lycanthropy that seem to have nothing to do with traditional mythology or the horror genre, a group that seems to turn its nose up at the stuffy old ideas about scary monsters, and that sneers at "horror". I suspect the movie will be limiting its viewership to that particular group as a result. The attitude here seems to be that the traditional werewolf found in the horror genre (a genre clearly disapproved of on this board), which has stood the test of time, is frowned upon and summarily dismissed, or at least it's something preferrably not discussed. I apologize. My mistake. If I offended anyone, I'm sorry. That was not my intention. I will limit my posts from now on to other boards frequented by horror fans who have what appears to be a misguided concept of the lycanthrope ... people who will no doubt be flocking to see the more traditional, crowd-pleasing upcoming remake of THE WOLF MAN rather than the far less traditional and apparently more sophisticated and recently-developed-by-online-committee FREEBORN.

Again, I apologize for my posts and will move along now. Thank you.
Last edited by RayGarton on Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.